Sunday, August 5, 2007

Diggin' DC




Well, as many of you know, we are in Washington DC for the month of August. Mark is taking a 4 week course at Walter Reed Medical Center as part of his Radiology training.

It is unbelievably hot here...it was 101 F yesterday and darn near 100% humidity. We went to George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon (close to Alexandria) yesterday. It was very interesting and fun too (except for the incredible heat and the whining that it induced from my children; understandable under the circumstances, but hard to take, nonetheless).

The thing I love most about DC is the incredible transportation system! We love riding the Metro all over and never struggling to find parking. I can't believe the whole world does not operate this way...it makes so much sense! The think I like least is that I really miss my friends and family! We'll be ready to leave in 3 more weeks.

The kids are doing well and I think this trip is really good for their relationships with each other. It seems like they are closer than ever since we've been on this trip. I think they just know that they are the only friends available at the moment.

The other day, Olivia decided it was "Little Sister Day". She told me that she had promised herself that she would be nice to her sisters that day...and she did very well!

Also, my kids seem to be getting along very well with about 1/10th of the toys that they have at home. I bought them a few new things for the trip to get them excited, and then brought 2 other of their favorite toys each. They are doing just fine without all the stuff that usually clutters up our house to no end. I think I'll be packing away toys when I get home!

In the meantime, we are looking forward to seeing more sights and I will be working on this blog as my pet project.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

It looks like your having fun. Your girls are so cute!

Andrea said...

I LOVED seeing how little we really needed to survive when we were there. I wanted to leave everything packed up in our garage. Of course it's nearly all back in our house though!

I love the "Little Sisters Day" I hope that my kids will be that sweet.

As far as the metro--I totally agree, isn't it insane to think how much better life could be in Seattle . . .